This ScanPAC low charge ammonia refrigeration system served as an add-on to replaced an industry-standard air-cooled R404A based refrigeration system at an existing food services facility in Mackay. The conversion from R404A to ammonia resulted in a recorded reduction in specific energy consumption of 57-71% depending on the time of year.
The inclusion of a ScanPAC enclosure meant that the site installation time could be reduced to three weeks excluding freezer temperature pull-down period. The low ammonia inventory of <250 kg ensures that the facility does not need to be classified as a Dangerous Goods Storage facility. The very low operating ammonia inventory within the freezer store of less than one kg minimizes risks to occupants.
This innovative, advanced system is cost-effective and as a small-scale packaged design, the ScanPAC is engineered to last and it can be relocated. It provides a long-term solution as it retains its asset value.
Scantec Refrigeration ScanPAC features
- Three compressor packages (two duty and one standby) including top and side water cooling circuit; designed as an advanced two dual‐stage compression system with built-in capacity control combined with rotational speed control
- Evaporative condenser with stainless steel coil and stainless steel casing
- Modulating high-pressure float valve for ammonia inventory minimization
- Secondary refrigerant loop for medium temperature rooms eliminating the presence of ammonia in these areas
- Automatic hot-gas defrost for low-temperature room
- Automatic off-cycle defrost for medium temperature rooms
- Desiccant drier in the freezer for minimization of defrost frequency and prevention of slippery floors
- Low-temperature accumulator package complete with water removal function
- Medium temperature accumulator package combined with glycol/ammonia heat exchanger